Monday, November 18, 2013

Orvel Sweat & Bertha Galli

Orvel Sweat was one of Emeline's brothers.
He married Bertha Leona Galli (of Midway, Utah) on 16 June 1915 in the Salt Lake Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Thus, she became Bertha Leona Galli Sweat.
Orvel and Bertha
From the personal albums of June Desmond
The following is an excerpt from the document, "History of Orvel Sweat" regarding how Orvel and Bertha met. (Found in the personal albums of Sharleen May (and also June Desmond), likely written by Orvel himself.):

"... My brother Lewis and I started to go over to Midway to the dances.  One night we went to the dance.  Lewis was going steady with Ora Galli at the time.  Before Lewis and I went in the dance hall we stood outside and looked through the window to see what girls were there.  As Bertha Galli danced by I asked Lew who that girl was and he answered, "It's Ora's little sister."  I said to him, "Well, that is going to be my future wife."  Lew laughed at me when I said that.  We finally went into the hall.  Ora came up and she introduced me to Bertha and we danced.  After that I danced with Ora.  She asked me if I wanted a date.  I told her yes.  She told me she had a girlfriend wither her whose name was Ella Carmack.  I told her I didn't want to go with Ella, but that I wanted to go with Bertha.  She said, "Oh, dad won't let her date."  But Lew, Ora, Bertha and I went home in the buggy.  I asked Bertha if I could come over and she her the next week.  Bertha said she didn't now if her dad would let her go out with me or not.  I said I would come over anyway.  So the next week I went over with Lew.  Ora introduced me to her father (Joseph Galli) and I asked Mr. Galli if Bertha could go to the dance with us.  He hesitated for a long while and then he said if she will come home with Ora he'd let her go.  From that night on there was no other girl for me.  Bertha and I dated for about two years...."
*Spelling and punctuation adjust wherein I saw fit.

Newspaper notice:
SOURCE: Wasatch Wave 1915, Jun 18, p.5
Newspaper notice transcribed:
A marriage license was issued by the county clerk this week to Miss Bertha L. Galli of Midway and Mr. Orvel Sweat of Center.
*Spelling corrected wherein I was aware.

Marriage License:
SOURCE: familysearch.org
Film # 0482527
*It's interesting to note that Bertha was 17 when they got married, so her mother, Annie M. Galli, had to be present to give her consent to the union.

 Marriage Certificate:
From the personal albums of June Desmond
Marriage notice:
SOURCE: Wasatch Wave 1915,  Jun 18, p.5
Marriage notice transcribed:
Miss Bertha Galli was married to Orvel Sweat of Center in the Salt Lake temple June 16th.  The bride was accompanied by her parents.  We wish the young couple every success in their journey through life.
*Spelling corrected wherein I was aware.

The following is Bertha's account of their journey to Salt Lake to be married, found in the document, "Life Story of Bertha Leona Galli Sweat" (likely written by Bertha) found in the personal albums of June Desmond:

"... Orvel and I decided to get married after I was out of school, so on 16 June 1915 we were married in the Salt Lake Temple by A.F. Smith.  We got the marriage license in Wasatch Co., 14 Jun 1915.  We went on to Park City to stay with Pearl and Joe overnight.  Dad and Mother were with us.  We all rode in the buggy.  Orvel had his team.  We ate supper and visited and, of course, we were teased.  After breakfast the next morning we went on our way down Parley's Canyon.  Dad led a horse he wanted to sell.  We stopped just below Lamb's Canyon and ate our lunch.  Someone came along in a car and honked the horn.  Dad's horse was startled, jumped and broke loose, and started to run in the canyon.  Orvel got on one of his horses, outrun the car, and caught the horse.  We just met three cars all the way from Midway to Salt Lake City.  
We stopped at the mouth of Parley's Canyon where one of Father's old neighbors lived.  They had us eat supper, then he took us to the city in his new car.  There they left Mother and I with more friends while the men went back to get the horses and buggy with Mr. Scath, when they got back to the city it was dark and Father was turned around and didn't think Orvel could find the way back but after they had walked until Father was tired out, he said, "Orvel, all right, you go where you think it is."  And he came right to the place.  Father was surely surprised because Orvel hadn't been to Salt Lake much before.  I was in bed when they came so I didn't see them until the next morning.  We had breakfast and were to the Temple by 8am to go with the first ones.  We were asked to be the witnesses and kneel at the altar.  We were thrilled but a little afraid.  After we got through we went shopping and got me a ring.
Father gave us a $5.00 trunk as a wedding present.  And we found a hotel to stay in that night.  That was also a new thing we had neither one of us ever been in a hotel before.  After breakfast the next morning Father decided to ride the horse back home because he couldn't find a sale for him.
We and Mother left with the team and buggy for Riverton where Grandma now loved.  We had a good visit with her and her family.  She gave us a pair of pillows and a quilt.  The next day we were leaving she said, "I'd like to give you more", but Grandpa, the man she had married , thought different.  He had quite a family by another marriage.  Then we left for Pleasant Grove where Aunt Lavina and Uncle Jens Fugal lived, and stayed there that night.  The next day we went to Provo Bench, or Orem as they call it now, to see Uncle John and family.  He sure did tease, he said I was just a baby and wasn't near old enough to be married and should have a good spanking.  They gave us a set of silverware.  The next day we came back home to Midway.  One of Orvel's brothers were there waiting for us to tell us Ora and Lew were having a shower at her house for us.  We went right to Center.  It was a lovely party and we received a lot of nice useful gifts.  The next week Mother and Dad had a lawn party for us and we sure did receive a lot more beautiful and useful gifts, bread pan, washtub, and board, for which we were so grateful..."
*Spelling, punctuation, and paragraph indentation adjusted by me

Older Orvel and Bertha
From the personal albums of June Desmond

No comments:

Post a Comment